While this morning is absolutely gorgeous, the past few days in Oregon, I've woken up to overcast skies. It has seemed cold and fall-ish, which has given me cravings for comfort food. I really wanted to make a coffee cake, and since it's berry season, what's better than blueberry coffee cake? I tried a recipe on allrecipes.com, which was quite good, except I made a few adjustments, including lowering the sugar (you could probably use 1/2- 2/3 cup and be fine), using butter instead of shortening, and adding a little cinnamon & sugar on top with the coconut.
It's not really good for you, but it could be worse. :) Try it!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- cinnamon and sugar mixture
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Add blueberries. Pour the batter into two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Sprinkle with coconut, cinnamon & sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm.