Thursday, June 17, 2010

No Cook Play Dough

By 10am this morning, I was still in pajama pants, a sweatshirt, and glasses.  Ah!  But I had done something!

I was trying to think of something to do with Brooklyn that would be fun.  It had been a long time since I had made play dough, so I thought I would try a no-cook variety. 


Here's what you need:

2 C. of plain flour
1 C. of salt
1 Tbsp. cooking oil
1 C. water
Food coloring

Mix the flour & salt.  Add water, oil, & food coloring, mixing all ingredients well.  Knead the dough.  Viola!  Play dough.

Now, for my opinion on this playdough: 

The upside is that it takes no time at all.  The down side is that it seems grainy to me.  Maybe because the salt never really dissolves?  It was great for instant gratification.  I made the mistake of not adding the color with the water & oil because I wanted 4 different colors.  Mixing it in after you've made the dough doesn't work well.  If you want to make different colors, I would suggest quartering the recipe in different bowls and putting the coloring in at the same time you add the water & oil.

I made this playdough recipe in the past & love it, but it does take longer since you have to cook it:  http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Playdough-Play-doh/

The play dough I made from the recipe about 18 months ago is still nice & easy to work with.  It's just ugly now since all the colors have mixed.  :) 

Welp, that's what we did this morning & thought I would share.  Enjoy! 

1 comment: