Monday, June 21, 2010

Wall Decor Decoupage

On a nice sunny day, decoupage is a great thing to do outside!  (less stinky.)



I went to the craft store last week and was inspired to make art for my living room that was springy/summery because the current accent color is red. It just doesn’t scream “happy!” So after buying some blue candles, I decided we had to stick with that theme and begin my living room transformation.

This “piece of work” was my first attempt at Mod Podge. Although I’ll admit I didn’t get all the bubbles out, it was fairly easy & I think I’ll like the end result which will include various framed family photos, mixed with some framed fabric. I’ll have to post it later!

For now, here’s how to do this!

First, you need:

*Decorative Paper (scrapbooking paper)
-I used sale paper for $ .50/sheet
*Art canvas, although you could do it on wood, a tray, cardboard to frame or whatever
-I got 2 for $6.99
*Adhesive letters
-I got the word for $2.69
*Mod Podge
-The 16 ounce cost me $7.99
*Foam brush (not pictured)
-They’re a dime a dozen. Or $.50  :)
*Scissors
-Always in my stash!
*The all-important Iced Americano (not actually used in the craft project itself)
-$2.50 for a 16 oz. @ Bedrocks


1. Lay out the paper you want to use and get an idea of how you want to your canvas to look. I choose to have a bigger center piece so that “Family” would be a focal point.

2. Cut or rip paper, making sure to overlap pieces.


3. Use your foam brush to apply the Mod Podge to glue your pieces onto your canvas. Make sure to push out any bubbles. This was kind of tough—I don’t think the flexibility of the canvas helped. Let dry 15-20 minutes.

4. Brush Mod Podge on top of your pieces in an even coat. Let dry 15-20 minutes.


5. Apply adhesive letters according to package directions.


6. Apply another coat of Mod Podge!

7. Enjoy your unique piece of art!

1 comment: