Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Skirts for Clean Water

The Story:

The last few years, our church has taken part in a bigger effort to make a difference in the world with our Christmas spending through Advent Conspiracy.  No, we don't forgo gift-giving, or become stingy in our present-giving to our friends or relatives.  Lack of generosity is not the heart of it--it's not spend less/don't be a consumer so that you can pocket the money for yourself.  Rather, spend less on the things that don't really matter (my kids have HUNDREDS of items of clothes.  We won't talk about my closet.) and more on things that DO matter . . .

 . . . Like clean water.  The idea was conceived by a few pastors who calculated that Americans spend $450,000,000,000 on Christmas every year.  That's 450 BILLION.  What if we took just a FRACTION of that money, looked outside of our little "friends and family" box to the world that GOD loves, and we were generous with those in his creation that desperately need hope?  Need life-giving water?  Jesus gave Himself generously and brought hope to the hopeless.  As much as I love Christmas and love giving gifts (truly I LOVE it!), I'm convicted that my generosity must extent past those I know personally.

(Watch this VIDEO to learn more about Advent Conspiracy)

I just spent about $70 at Value Village, St. Vincent De Paul and Joann's.  (Yes, one of these things does not go with the other!)  I didn't buy toys and games.  I bought t-shirts and a little bit of fabric.  Tons of t-shirts.  And now I'm recreating them into skirts to sell so that I can help buy a $600 well in India.  If this is something you want to support, please buy a skirt--for yourself, for a friend, for a family member.   



(Please forgive bad photos!!)

100% of ALL SALES (not just proceeds) go directly to the well.  No slave labor!  Mostly recycled fabrics!

Suggested Price:  $30.  If you want to donate more, ALL money will go toward the well.  Please facebook me or email me at 1uponawhim@gmail.com if you are interested.  More to come!!!


1.  "Dark Butterfly"--Medium.  Made out of 100% recycled knit shirts.  Extra patching together.  Serged seams and hem.  Asymmetrical, fold-down waist. 
 Front
 Back
 Side
 Serged edges
Full disclosure:  I kind of stink at serging.  I did the best I could, but it's not perfect!!

2.  "Surfin' Hippie"--Medium.  Made out of 100% recycled knit shirts.  Serged seams and hem.  Asymmetrical, fold-down waist. 







3.   "Color Me Sunshine"--Medium.  Made out of 80% recycled knit shirts, 20% knit fabric. Center section is double thick so not see-through!!  Serged seams and hem.  Fold-down waist. 



No comments:

Post a Comment