Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hopitals, Ristorantes, and Country Roads

Me, Dad, Sister (Jenny), Bug, and Bee
Father's Day 2010

Last weekend was a little crazy for my family.  My dad spent all day Friday in the ER.  After an MRI and 2 spinal taps, he was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome and admitted to the hospital.  Guillain-Barre is a rare disorder in which the immune system attacks the nerves in the body, causing loss of sensation, starting in the extremities.  If the disorder goes untreated, paralysis moves up the body into the trunk, causing respiratory issues.  It can be fatal.  Thankfully, the team of doctors were diligent in diagnosing and treating his condition and he was sent home on Monday.  The Lord answered our prayers. 

 Mom & Dad

While my dad was sent home, he still has loss of sensation in his toes and some tingling in his fingers.  It can take a long time for his body to get back to "normal," but we continue to pray for complete and quick healing.

Anyway . . .

I went to visit dad in the hospital on Saturday.  My sister & I met up and went together.  He was in the cardiac unit in case he had respiratory problems.  His roommate, Harrold, was quite a character.  Apparently, he had chronic pneumonia and sounded awful.  The CNA sat by Harrold's bed and every couple of minutes had to give Harrold a warning like:

"Harrold, don't touch that."

"Harrold, lay down.  You can't get out of bed."

"Harrold, you can't take that off."

I hate to say that I was quite amused by Harrold, poor old guy.

After visiting my dad, my sis & I went to 2 bookstores where I sold books, earning a total of $42 of store credit between the 2.  How awesome is that?!?! 

We then went to a little hole-in-the-wall deli and had the most amazing antipasti and salad!


When you face mortality, (weird seeing my dad in a hospital bed), you realize the importance of spending time with family . . . and friends too.  I'm grateful for the relationship I have with my family.  My sister, mom, and I had a great afternoon window shopping and hanging out.  I'm so blessed.  So, so blessed.

My drive home was beautiful.  I took all back roads and I have to share with you the views from my car (yes, some where captured while driving!)  I was so grateful to be alive, to witness the beauty of this amazingly created world. 




I grew up in the country.  Every time I drive in the country, I miss it.  Don't get me wrong, I love that I'm walking distance from everything I could need--shopping, doctors, and coffee!  However, I love the beauty and peace I experience away from the cars and buildings. 

And finally . . . 

Thanks for your love and support of me and my family.  Please continue to keep my dad and mom (especially) in your prayers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment