Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Autumn Sugar Cookies

Sometimes I feel the need to make shaped cookies.  This time, I think that I believed that my daughters would be able to take a role in using the cookie cutters and we would have a fabulous time.  I sometimes forget that they are 18 months and 3 years.  Of course they will take a role in that!  It just may not be the role I had imagined.

[Please note messy kitchen in background.  This is normal.]

 I called Justin because I needed pumpkin or leaf cookie cutters.  He gave into my whim and raided the Party City near his work to find these Wilton cookie cutters for $3.99.


I will shamelessly admit to you that Betty & I are close.  When I need a good, basic recipe, I look to her years of experience and am rarely disappointed.  A few of the recipes that I treasure cannot be found in the recent cookbooks, so I have copied them from my mom's old Crocker cookbook.  This recipe is from this old cookbook and they are the sugar cookies I grew up eating at Christmas time.  They aren't your super soft sugar cookies.  They are a little cripsy and I kind of like it when I over cook them just a touch!  Of course you can frost them easily, but I love the flavor so much that I just use sprinkles.  For the cookies we made, we used "Autumn Sprinkles" and chocolate sprinkles.

[As you can tell, Bee had a heavy hand on the chocolate sprinkles!]

For the record, they were delicious.  Just ask Bug!


Okay, here's the recipe since you can't find it in the new cook books!

Deluxe Sugar Cookies (Betty Crocker)

1 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. almond extract

{Mix these ingredients together, then add:}

2 1/2 c. flour
1 t. soda
1 t. cream of tarter

*Chill for 2-3 hours (if you don't, you won't be able to roll the dough out.)
*Preheat oven for 375 degrees.
*Roll out dough and use cookie cutters to form cookies.
*Place on baking sheet and bake for 7-8 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment