Thursday, October 14, 2010

Pumpkin Seeds!


I remember my dad scraping the pumpkin out as we kids waited anxiously for him to let us help make the Jack-O-Lantern face.  Personally, I never wanted the scary faces--only the happy ones!  I particularly like the ones with one one tooth because it makes them look friendlier.

Anywho, (BTW, yes, I'm aware that's not a word--I enjoy making you English people cringe.  No red pen for this blog.  Ah ha ha!!), another memory I have from carving pumpkins is baking the seeds.  Yesterday, after carving out a pumpkin, I separated out the seeds and baked some of my own, which I hadn't done in a few years.  This time, I had little helpers!  Don't worry.  Of course they have food handling permits, as evidenced by their very clean clothing and tidy hair.

I realize there a varying seasonings that you can add to the seeds to make them a tasty snack, but I went plain and simple:  olive oil and kosher salt.

Here's how:

1.  Separate & clean your seeds.  Blot dry with a towel and put them in a bowl.

2.  Toss in some Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  As Bug demonstrates on the left, it's always good to smell your olive oil to make sure it isn't rancid.  (!?)


3.  Toss in the Kosher Salt.  Make 'em good and salty so they taste like popcorn! 


4.Spread your seeds on a baking sheet.  This is not a good time to taste-test your seeds like Bug is doing.  Wait until they are baked @ 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.  If you're a bit of a perfectionist, it wouldn't be a bad idea to turn them over once or twice.


5.  Enjoy in your pajamas as a delicious bed time snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment