Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What's For Breakfast: Banana Bread French Toast

The other night, I made 2 different banana bread recipes.  One was my usual Betty recipe; the other was a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com, which you know I love.  Both ended up being great.  The Betty recipe is fantastic--it's moist (not my favorite word, but how else do I say it?!) and easy to make.  The other recipe, called Banana Banana Bread is really, really good.  Very banana-y (as you would imagine), dense (in a good way), and overall delicious!  I wanted to know which was the better recipe.  I can't decide.  I think I prefer the Banana Banana Bread if I'm just eating it plain, but if I wanted to (for instance . . . ) make French Toast, then Betty wins.

Last summer, we went to a restaurant in Portland that served banana blueberry bread french toast.  It was so brilliant!!  Why hadn't I thought of this before?  I decided to try making it this morning.  I used my banana bread, but put blueberry compote on top, making for a gourmet breakfast (minus the bacon and fried potatoes.) 

Here's what to do:

1.  Make your favorite Banana Bread recipe.  (I've listed 1 I used below)
2.  Heat griddle to medium heat.
3.  Make Blueberry Compote (see below)
4.  Make French Toast Batter
      -1 egg
      -2 Tbsp. milk
      -1/2 t. vanilla
5.  After slicing bread into 3/4" slices, dip both sides of bread in batter and place on griddle. 
6.  After French Toast is done, place on plate, add some Blueberry Compote, and sprinkle a bit of powdered sugar to make it pretty!

Blueberry Compote
-Put 3/4 qt. blueberries  in saucepan over medium heat and cook until soft
-Stir in sugar as needed.  My blueberries were really tart, so I used about 1/4 c. sugar
-Add about 1 Tbsp. Lemon or Lime Juice
-To thicken, mix 2 Tbsp. of cornstarch in cold water until dissolved, then stir into blueberries. 
-Bring to a boil, then serve.

Banana Banana Bread from allrecipes.com
. . . with a few changes I made!

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 t. vanilla
2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas (about 5-6 bananas)

Optional topping:
1/8 c. brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Add vanilla.  Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.  Add optional topping, if desired
Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. those ingredients look like ALLLL my fav things, rolled into one scrumptious looking dish...cannot wait to try it out myself!!

    ReplyDelete