Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Play Dough

Again.


Bee & I decided that we should make play dough while Bug was sleeping this morning. Bug loves play dough but she tends drag it around the house, leave it out, or eat it.  I just threw out old play dough last week.

In June, I posted making no-cook play dough.  It was okay, but honestly, it was a little grainy.  I wanted better texture.  I looked up another play dough recipe--one that worked perfectly.   I found this on instructables.com.  It's the second time I've made this dough and it's positively terrific.

All you need:
2 cups flour
2 cups warm water
2 Tbsp oil
1 cup salt (I used Kosher, but it probably doesn't matter.)
1 Tbsp cream of tarter

1.  Dump in your ingredients and start stirring over low-medium heat (emphasis on low for those of you--like me--who tend to cook everything a little higher because you want it to cook faster.)


Maybe I'm a bad mom for letting my 3 year old help at the stove, but she had a great time!

2.  When it starts to thicken, but is still sticky, let it rest for a few seconds, then stir it.  It's at this point you'll start to notice that the heat is changing the texture into a soft dough.  Cook it until the all stickiness is gone!  


3.  Put your dough out on the counter--I used my silicone mat--and knead the dough a few times.


3.  Separate dough into 4 (more or less, depending on the number of colors you want to make).  Use food dye to color the dough.  Warning:  your finger will turn colors, unless you use gloves!  :)


4.  Play!!!  I store my play dough in zip closure storage baggies.  Dough I have made like this before lasts for a very long time, as long as you remember to put it away after each use!


No comments:

Post a Comment